The Red Clay Valley Association (RCVA), the second oldest small watershed organization in America, was founded in 1952 by a group of Delaware and Pennsylvania residents for the purpose of protection and conservation of the natural resources in the Red Clay Watershed.
The Red Clay Valley, through which 43 million gallons of water flow daily, encompasses fifty-five square miles of rolling hills, woodlands, and farms in Chester County, Pennsylvania and New Castle County, Delaware. The valley is the home of nearly 50,000 people who live in small towns and suburban and rural settings, as well as to businesses, parks, recreation sites and many of the world's famous mushroom farms. The Red Clay Valley has seen projects, such as the Red Clay Creek Cleanup, spray irrigation systems, a stream corridor and greenway program, and the Red Clay Trail.
RCVA is a non-profit, member supported, conservation organization with offices located at the Myrick Conservation Center, a 318 acre property located in Pocopson Township between Unionville and West Chester.
What is the Red Clay Watershed?
The area of land which includes all tributaries, streams, creeks, ponds and lakes which flow into the Red Clay Creek. The Red Clay Valley Association is committed to the conservation of all the natural resources in this area.
The Red Clay Valley Watershed encompasses the following municipalities:
- East Marlborough Township
- Kennett Township
- New Garden Township
- Kennett Borough
- And Part of New Castle County
The purpose of the Red Clay Valley Association is to promote, through education and scientific activities, the restoration and conservation of the natural resources of the Red Clay Watershed.